Sunday, April 7, 2013

In the words of Tom Petty...

...the waiting is the hardest part! We've done all we can do at this point. The beds are filled with soil, seeds are planted outside, and seeds are started inside. Now? We wait. This is a good time to mention that patience isn't my strongest characteristic. Ugh. But, like most things in life; good things come to those who wait. (I still want it to hurry, though)

The beauty of starting seeds indoors is that we can see the progress of each seedling --- and that is enough to get me through to harvest time. Not only do I water and rotate the plants each day, but I also frequently go check on the wee little seedlings to see what has decided to pop out. And while it may seem excessive to look in on them more than once a day, it only takes an hour sometimes to see new sprouts emerging.

Three days ago, we spotted a lone zucchini breaking through the soil. A few hours later, there were multiple cells that had seedlings emerging. As of yesterday, we have zucchini, cucumbers, kohlrabi, and tomatoes sprouting.

So yes, the waiting really stinks. But I am rewarded daily, if not hourly, by the promise of growth. And that's enough to keep me going.

 
Our first zucchini!
 
 
A tiny kohlrabi, breaking through the soil
 
So, much to my dismay --- there's nothing to do but wait. (and keep our fingers crossed) And for now, I'll keep checking our plants to see what else comes out to greet us!
 
---Autumn 


No comments:

Post a Comment